"Our goal therefore is to have sufficient water, sufficiently clean, in the right place at the right time to serve the range of human and industrial needs."
~John F. Kennedy
West Boylston was one of the first communities in Central Massachusetts to recognize the health advantages of a public water supply for its citizens when they voted at town meeting to approve an article to organize a Water Works Investigating Committee. Its duties were to determine the feasibility and cost as might be necessary, to obtain a system of water works, that would service the entire town and provide adequate fire protection, as well. The Massachusetts legislature created the Metropolitan Water Board as an agency of the Commonwealth, whose duties were to construct a dam in Clinton, acquire lands in West Boylston and in abutting towns, for the building of a storage reservoir that would cover an area of six and one-half square miles. The reservoir would serve Boston.
From 1897 - 1905 : The Wachusett Reservoir was constructed. Approximately 2,100 acres of land in West Boylston was acquired by eminent domain and homes and factories were demolished. From 1890 to 1910, the population in town declined about 60%.
1939 : By acts of the legislature and town meeting, the West Boylston Water District was created.
1941 : Construction began. Wells were driven off of Lee Street, pumping stations constructed and pipes were laid along the main roads. Workers from the Works Progress Administration of the Federal Government were deployed in this effort. Records indicate that thirteen miles of distribution pipe was laid, ninety hydrants were installed and sixty-eight house services were connected.